Autel Support Communities
Autel Support Communities
Welcome, Guest     Sign in
Communities > Diagnostic & Analysis System > MaxiDas > AUTEL IS SCAMMING CUSTOMERS TO UPDATE SO...
AUTEL IS SCAMMING CUSTOMERS TO UPDATE SOFTWARE NEVER USE WiFi !!

22402 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: 2017-06-01 22:41:05

•   Level 2   
    (14) points
    MyMechanicinc
    2017-01-12 01:56:19
     We have had 2 MaxiDas DS708 for more than 3 years

Until we received several request to update software which we did NOT need at all
    ALL updates were referring to Vehicles which were NOT in the USA

And, we were NOT interested in spending $695 for an UN-necessary update which we did not need or use

Once we decided to connect the units to WiFi the VERY next day BOTH units were NO longer functioning

This is NOT by chance. We could see ONE unit but NOT Both

DO NOT EVER try using the WiFi function because almost immediately Autel will render your unit useless and it will NO longer boot or work at all

ALWAYS make sure you have an extra copy of the Original SD Card and NEVER use the Internet whether WiFi or direct because they insert some sort of virus which WILL render your unit useless and,they WILL insist on $695.00 update cost

This posting has been posted on RipOff Reports, Scam Websites.com, BBB, eBay, Auto Professional, MM Auto and, over 50 other Websites and Blogs so far.

This is Completely UNFAIR

Please ALL beware

•   Level 10   
    (7578) points
    witsend

2017-01-13 21:35:37 (Reply to:MyMechanicinc)

Why would you even attempt to try and  go to a web site via Maxidas  WIFI, when it strains to load web pages, and being an old Windows based System, Maybe it just got zapped by a Windows security update like I believe thousands of other old PCs that get bricked by them, and in that  process they both  somehow got Micro-junked.
      You never know if Autel wasn't up to date with WinBlows politics and licensing fees either.

•   Level 3   
    (79) points
    lfdorries

2017-02-15 22:23:25

I posted a long time ago warning people that had Autel. 
    If you update subscription expires, and you allow it to connect to the Internet. 
    IT WILL CONTACT AUTEL AND SHUT YOUR SCANNER DOWN ! ! 

This is not right, but this is what they are doing. I have suggested numerous times that somebody needs to start a class action lawsuit !

•   Level 1   
    (9) points
    nmpeter

2017-03-16 00:46:41 (Reply to:lfdorries)

that's a pretty serious charge. I would hope that this isn;t a stupid mistake on autel part not yet detected, but if my scanner bricks, I'll know where to come. you can mirror the sd card, but not the flashram.

Unless they can show me that I agreed to keep buying updates someplace, not likely, I'll simply charge back to harbor frieght if there is significant verifiable evidence of this claim.

•   Level 5   
    (243) points
    FX4

2017-04-06 03:09:48 (Reply to:nmpeter)

I've had both my DS708s on the internet in the last month and neither was harmed, one is out of the update period but I just wanted to see if it would, It told me no updates available and still works great. I've cleared all keys and reprogrammed them on a 2002 ranger since then. My other unit which has updates until may or june did update and it also is fine. Since then I've done the key clear on an '08 F350 diesel which has the PATS module in the instrument cluster and all went great with it. Ain't saying you didn't have issues, but I am saying I've had two on the internet in the last month and neither of mine had issues. Good luck getting yours fixed.
    Thx

•   Level 3   
    (58) points
    nympfisher

2017-04-06 13:01:00

no way to prove , but my ford ver 9.11 quit completely and a lot of the gm stuff wont respond or is slow to load.

no problems with dodge or any import . this was within a week of program update to 6.32 . was trying to get printer function working again. oh , customer support says sorry . buy the $600 update the we are discontinuing support for.

I did get ver 9.00 to work , copy and pasted from the old card. better lock the write only slide on your flash card.

•   Level 2   
    (11) points
    staffs964

2017-04-21 23:13:19 (Reply to:MyMechanicinc)

RESOLUTION BELOW

Just received my 'brand new' unit.
    (yes I knew about the 31st Dec issue, but I only need it for older vehicles and thought I'd take advantage of the updates available)

So I boots it up and everything seemed ok, then I read through the pamphlet re the updates section. 
    At this point I connect it to my local Wifi and attempt an update...  It commenced the update but locked up within minutes.
    Nothing worked and I noticed the seconds had stopped counting on the clock!  crashed. 

That was around 3hrs ago and it will not load without some USB error, or storage card error, at which point the Wifi LED simply goes in to a rapid flash like its connecting to the SSID but not retrieving an IP.  I managed one time to get in to the Wifi config and observed just that, no IP and showing the 'reconnect' button. 

At this point I connected the RJ45 cable in an attempt to override the Wifi, which it should.. but wouldn't do.

I did do a back up of the flash card before I started and I'm just in the process of copying the backup to 'another' flash card.

I acknowledge the guy that implied it could be a windows update this, but its my understanding that the old Windows OS's required the updates be pushed manually not automatically.  I'm more inclined to believe that Autel have intentionally or unintentionally corrupted the download.

On a side note, I installed the PC software (from the site as I have no cd player) it appeared to run install and run file until I ran the updates, it did about the first 5-6 updates from the top of the list when the program crashed. 
    Only to find on relaunce it could find some of its files on files and requested the location of the installation package!

Its all a sick joke really, thankfully I bought through Amazon so I will get my money back if I need too.

Anyway I'll let you know if I recover it.

Following Day:

Formatted a fresh SD to FAT32 and copied the original backup to it, boots up so the SD is fine, but within seconds of loading the user interface the screen locks up, clock freezes and the Wifi LED goes mental.  So it sounds like the OS has been affected.

I'm going to give Autel tech support one opportunity to rectify the situation or is gets boxed up and returned to Amazon and I will never buy another product from them and like MyMechanic I will take steps too.

will update on Monday..  

OK
    Couldn't wait until Monday, as I suspected the problem lay with the network card or its software/drivers.  
    Here is how I got around it and at least now have a functioning scanner.
    Take out the SD card and insert in to a PC/Laptop 
    \ see the three items on the root of the card
    \open Scan
    \locate WIFI \right click on it and rename to WIFIold

Remove and put back in the scanner and pwr up.. you will get a network error, that's expected just press OK.  
    Your scanner should boot into the main screen.  Once you have confirmed that the scanner is back you can either leave it like that and do updates from the PC software up until the 31st Dec  

OR SAVVY COMPUTER USERS CAN DO THIS...
    \open Scan
    \locate WIFI 
    \right click and 'rename' WLANcfg.dat to WLANcfg.old
    \then right click and 'copy' it \then paste below
    \right click the copied file and 'open' with note/word pad (you may have to look for it)
    \remove ALL the contents of the file (its the SSID and PW data) then save and close
    \right click same file and rename back to .dat from .old

go back up to folder level and rename WIFIold back to just WIFI

Place SD (lock it) back in the scanner and it should load as normal, simply don't attempt to use the WiFi again.

THIS IS A DRIVER/SOFTWARE ISSUE WITH THE NIC (network interface card)

•   Level 3   
    (98) points
    CHRIS

2017-05-17 16:29:21 (Reply to:staffs964)

The 708 update will lock up tool as well..if it works DO NOT update it will lock you out...

•   Level 2   
    (11) points
    Autotechdude

2017-06-01 22:41:05 (Reply to:staffs964)

I did the Wifi change and it worked. Looks like I lost a couple manufacturers but the old ass ds708 came back to life. Even after the stop working update BS. Still had US and Asian pretty much intact.  Thank you staffs964 for the info. 
  Total1 Pages